The film "The English Patient" was filmed in Rome and Venice, Italy.

Filming locations:

Piazza Pio II

In the movie

Scene where Soldiers celebrate the end of the war in the village.

In reality

Click to open map

The scene was filmed at The center of Pienza has been a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1996. It was the birthplace of Pope Pius II (1458-1464) in the 15th century. At that time it was called Corsignano. When the Pope came to power, he decided to rebuild his native village according to the urban planning ideals of the time. The film crew added a fountain in front of the Pienza Cathedral (Duomo di Santa Maria Assunta) specifically for this scene.

Old Bridge of Ripafratta (destroyed)

In the movie

Scene where Kip must defuse a bomb under the bridge.

In reality

Click to open map

The scene was filmed at Ripafratta is a village in Tuscany, central Italy, administratively a frazione of the municipality of San Giuliano Terme, province of Pisa. In 2020, the old bridge over the Serchio was demolished and replaced with a new one.

Jebel Sidi Bouhlel

In the movie

Scene where After the plane crash, Almásy carries Katharine into a cave.

In reality

Click to open map

The scene was filmed at The film was shot at Jebel Sidi Bouhlel.

San Francesco Arezzo

In the movie

Scene where Kip takes Hana on his bicycle to a nearby church, where he shows her the frescoes.

In reality

Click to open map

The scene was filmed at In this barn-like Basilica of San Francesco you will find carefully restored frescoes. The well-preserved frescoes represent the Legend of the True Cross (1452-66), a complex story presented in the eerie style of a local artist.

Monastery of St. Anna at Camprena Farm

In the movie

Scene where Hana decides to stay with the English patient in the bombed-out monastery to care for him.

In reality

Click to open map

The scene was filmed at The Monastery of Sant'Anna in Camprena is an ancient Olivetan monastic complex in the province of Siena. Today the monastery is used as a farm and is managed by the Diocese of Montepulciano-Chiusi-Pienza, and the attached church, still consecrated, houses the parish of Sant'Anna in Camprena. The scenes for the film were shot in 1996.